[Simh] idle feature

Mark Pizzolato mark at infocomm.com
Fri Feb 8 06:46:31 EST 2008

--- Eric Smith <esmithmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the helpful replies, and I don't mean to beat a dead
> horse -- maybe it just wasn't meant for me to enjoy this feature :)
> But just curious if this is working for everyone but me?  Wonder
> what I could be doing wrong?
>
> I downloaded this ("stock"?) code:
> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/sources/simhv37-3.zip
>
> ...and compiled it on my straight Fedora 8 installation (Pentium 4
> hardware) using -lrt, (had to add "-lrt" to the makefile) but get
> this:
>
> VAX simulator V3.7-3
> sim> set cpu idle
> Command not allowed
> sim> set cpu idle=VMS
> Command not allowed
>
> Any ideas?

You would get the "Command not allowed" response to the SET CPU IDLE
command if your platform's clock tick was greater than 10ms.

To verify this, you can add the "adjtimex - 1.21.3.fc8.i386" package
to your Fedora 8 installation and type the following:

  # adjtimex -p

and look at the value of the tick which is displayed.  Something
greater than 10000 will effectively disable simh's idle feature.

- Mark