[Simh] OpenVMS and networking on Windows

Bucher Andreas A.Bucher at alcatel-lucent.de
Tue Feb 5 12:59:32 EST 2008

Hi,

> I'm trying to get back into OpenVMS, using my old system disk
> image and my copy of SIMH.  I have it set up to boot on my
> laptop, and just installed the Multinet TCP stack from
> Process Software.
> The problem now seems to be that I can't Windows networking
> to work.  I'm unfortunately at a university with an Internet
> policy which is a little restrictive.
> I've tried using:
> attach xq eth1
> at the SIMH prompt, and it seems to have worked.  I'm using
> WinPCAP 4.0, the latest version.
> My TCP stack in VMS can't find the DHCP server, nor does
> setting the MAC of the network card to be the same as that of
> the physical card help.
> I always get a message about there being no route to host.
> I'm wondering if the WinPCAP version is to blame?
> Thanks for any help,

Zack,
are you sure the eth1 really is the ethernet adapter ?

Best is to fire up simh, stop booting by ctrl-E (or avoid having a
simh.ini file), and type

sim> sho xq eth

This will produce a list of windows devices acting as network adapters
(physical or logical). If the PC has more than one network device
(usually it will), you can determine the device numbers via the
descriptions. The device number listed in the ETH column is equvalent to
the ethX code used to attach the xq device to.

Like on my PC (I have VMWare installed), I have 4 network adapters in
total (if you have a WiFi, you might have 2 or 3). The main problem is:
The order of the adapter may vary, so eth1 is not allways the physical
ethernet of the PC (look for "local area connection").

Therefore, best would be to do the sho xq eth and determine the correct
device each time SIMH starts ...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andreas