[Simh] Best NFS Serevr for OpenVMS?

Broer van Smeden smeden at scarlet.nl
Wed Apr 16 13:01:56 EDT 2008

Dear Peter,

You might consider to compress the data in stead of making a saveset (or
just make a saveset from the zipfile).

For this, you can use the ZIP and UNZIP utility. Please be aware to use the
“-Vw” option to preserve the VMS information. You can FTP the ZIP file in
bin mode.

Of course, this will not work if you want to make an image backup.

At least RDB databases can be very good compressed with ZIP.

Kind regards

Broer

Hi,

I'm trying to backup some physical VAXes inorder to SIMH them, but don't
have enough disk storage available, so was thinking about using a PC to
provide NFS storage, and UCX to be an NFS client. (UCS does have an NFS
client, right?)

Before I go googling for a suitable NFS server, can the community advise of
good, free Windows NFS servers that have been shown to work with OpenVMS?

(or maybe there are other ways to get some cheap storage online to a VAX?)

Thanks, Peter Moreton

Checked by AVG.
18:10

Checked by AVG.