[Simh] Tools for ODS-2 disk image access from host platforms?

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sun Apr 13 08:31:24 EDT 2008

For RT-11, things like John Wilson's PUTR allow easy access
to disk images from host platforms. (Actually, long predating
RT-11 there were Unix-based programs for manipulating RT-11 disk
images and these are still out there too!)

What tools exist for accessing ODS-2 (VMS) filesystems in disk images,
from say Windows or Unix or Linux or whatever? I know ODS-2
is potentially more complicated not only because of the filesystem
but also the RMS-11 record formatting of many files.

I've hacked together many simple ODS-2 (and ODS-1) disk image
maniupulating tools for specific purposes over the years and as I think
about packaging them up for wider use, I'm sure that others have done similar
(and probably even more advanced tools!) over the years, but
I feel like I've been out of the loop.

Tim.