[Simh] VUPs?

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Sun Apr 6 19:07:38 EDT 2008

Alan Frisbie wrote:
> My report to "Charley Matco" (Terry Shannon) on this earned me
> one of the prized Charley Matco mugs.

Over the course of several years, I managed to acquire two of them.  I
probably could have
gotten a third if I had asked my cousin, who was design director for the
magazine to try
and get me one :-D
> It cost about $15K as opposed to an almost identical one without
> the expoxy for $25K.   The cost of a spare H9278 backplane was
> about $450, but DEC quickly caught on and removed it from the
> price book.   A third-party company, Zoltech, promptly made their
> own version for sale.

I remember we were able to get in under the wire on that deal.
> The reason for the /RC was that the competition (Sun, etc.) were
> beating DEC badly with inexpensive boxes.   DEC's competition,
> the MicroVAX 2000, was late to market so DEC needed to do
> something quickly just to preserve market share.   At the same
> time, they couldn't afford to just drop the price of the full
> sized MicroVAX-II.   The answer was the /RC which only lasted
> until the 2000 was done.

The sad thing was the MicroVAX 2000 was a terribly slow piece of
hardware even for
its time.  I recall firing one up in our warehouse and I was not
impressed by its slowness.
It really felt as if DEC was just trying to do something rather than
come out with a good
product.

Robert Schaffrath