[Simh] VUPs?

Norman Lastovica norman.lastovica at oracle.com
Fri Apr 4 11:28:16 EDT 2008

Quick Culter story as he told it (at least the parts that I remember)...

The 11/70 added support for a whole lot more memory with additional
physical address bits (virtual memory remained the same size
obviously) along with some other features.  The RSTS group apparently
estimated some amount of time X to get support for the full 11/70 feature.
Cutler said that the RSX guys felt this was a pretty outrageous
amount of time and said so.

So he and one or two others implemented this full support over
the weekend.  He then printed out an announcement of this support
in RSX and put it on the desk of everyone in the mill.  He claims
that while walking up the stairs with that armload of paper
destined for the desks that Sunday evening he passed one of the
RSTS managers (or at least someone involved) who was leaving and
managed not to even crack a smile when he said "Hi" to the other guy.