[Simh] binary packages...

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:48:18 EDT 2007

Thanks to Tim Riker I've been making all kinds of updates to the sourceforge
page for simh ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/simh/ ).

I've also placed in the binaries & most of the system software from the main
site into the sourceforge, giving the main site a bit of a break for
bandwidth.  I plan on updating the CVS source to the current level once I
feel comfortable with manipulating it via sourceforge.

The big question is what platforms would you want binaries for?

I know there is a lot of people that have difficulty with linux-x86 and I
can provide static binaries for that platform.  However are there others?
Do people really use/need OS/2, MS-DOS (I've gotten it to build via Watcom),
various BSD's, OS X(PowerPC,Intel?)... etc etc.

Let me know what kind of binary packaging would be helpfull to you.

Also I was thinking of doing some kind of install program that could pull
down all the various OS's.. Does anyone know of a good cross platform
installer?  I guess it would be somewhat java-esque?  The nullsoft
scriptable Install System seems somewhat crossplatform...

Also for win32 OS's does anyone have any good idea on how to benchmark the
various compilers to see which is the fastest?  I was going to time building
a kernel in single user mode on any *nix to see how fast that is (with idle
on & off)..  Does that sound like a valid test?  I don't have any numbers,
but the Watcom 11 compiler feels pretty snappy.  But it would be interesting
to put up mingw/cygwin(GCC) VisualC++ & Watcom to see which is the fastest.

FWIW it seems there are some downloads from the site already.  I figure the
exposure is a 'good thing'.

Let me know if there is something that you feel should be on the site..

Jason