[Simh] Compile problems with SIMH V3.7-3

Matjaz Rihtar matjaz at eunet.si
Mon Oct 15 19:27:10 EDT 2007

I tried to compile my own version of SIMH on Windows XP, mainly because:

1. I want to use WinPcap 3.1, because I would like to
    continue to use Ethereal 0.99.0, which doesn't work
    with WinPcap 4.0.1 yet.
2. I wanted to automatically spawn external telnet
    application (putty), when starting SIMH with
    set console telnet=xxx (like it's done in Personal
    Alpha)

Plain SIMH V3.7-3 compiles just fine with WinPcap 3.1 on
.NET 2003 *and* MinGW gcc 3.4.5, but on both compiled
vax.exe-s I am getting the same same error - NULL pointer
in routine get_uint(scp.c:3180):

t_value get_uint (char *cptr, uint32 radix, t_value max, t_stat *status)
{ ...
*status = SCPE_OK;

This is called from rq_set_type(pdp11_rq.c:2224):

t_stat rq_set_type (UNIT *uptr, int32 val, char *cptr, void *desc)
{ ...
t_stat r;
     cap = (uint32) get_uint (cptr, 10, 0xFFFFFFFF, &r);

Before getting into get_uint, everything is fine (r is not NULL),
but if I look at disassembly, I can see one additional
"push 0" to the stack (after push [r]), which causes get_uint to fail
with NULL pointer exception.

Has anybody experienced the same problem? First I thought .NET 2003
produces false code, but then the same happened with MinGW gcc.
There were no optimizations involved in both cases.

Please help!
Thanks,
   Matjaz