[Simh] Editors you love/hate.

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Wed Oct 3 14:54:08 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 12:22 -0600, Brett Bump wrote:

> Hmm...yank yank print, or was that yank yank "2" print if I wanted my LA36
> to print me 2 lines (with TECO)?

I don't think TECO or its descendants are particularly nice, either :(

> if you ask me.  Wordperfect was better than Word (in the beginning), and I

Shift-F7 1 :)

> never saw anything (Word processing programs) that I ever liked.

Gedit (the Gnome Editor) comes close for me.  The editors in Turbo
Pascal 7 and contemporary Borland C++ compilers were also quite nice.

>   XYWrite
> was usable (at least it had macros as I recall).  I guess pico will do for
> now (I just want simple and not complicated, or CygnusEd [or EDT] back).

Give Gedit a try.
Or E, if you run windows.  TextMate, if you run OS X.

> <snip> >
> > > The hyphens don't bother me near as much as a wanting a simh-3.7-3.tgz or
> > > simh-3.7-3.bz2 does.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean here -- some of us are not native
> > speakers.  Do you mean "I would like something that isn't a zip file"?
> > Or is it the way the version number is formated you refer to?
>
> No, it's the zip files.  I like to keep things consistant.  If you start
> with 1 kind of numbering scheme, or date format, you should continue to
> use what the original author intends.

Oh, that's what you meant!  Fine by me.  "simhv37-3.zip", then.

But why the 'v' in there?

Isn't it implicit that "37-3" is the version number?!?

>   But for platform compression, the
> defaults for Windows has been (zip), for Apples (originally pac), for the
> Amiga it was (lhz or lha), original "Unix" was (compress .Z) and for the
> open source *nix variants, (gunzip, or bzip2).

I thought most Macs used StuffIt back in the day?

>   Most of the linux distros
> come with unzip already installed, but that isn't the case for BSD's.

Oh.

Nautilus and File Roller seems to handle all of them just fine.  Same
with winzip, I know it handles at least tar.gz files.

>   If
> you have to deal with alot of dependancies just to get something running,
> most people will eventually give up (try installing Inkscape on linux).

apt-get install inkscape ;)
(or yum install inkscape)

You should also try their autopackage -- if it doesn't work then there's
a bug that the autopackage people will be interested in finding and
fixing.  It is supposed to work on Slackware.

-Peter