[Simh] Interesting problem on Slackware 11.0

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:50:54 EDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gregg, I would be interested in knowing if the binaires that I compiled
> here:
> <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simh/simh-3.7-3_linuxi386-exe.zip?use_mirror=umn>
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154308
>
> work for you?  I know there is nothing more fun than 'building your own' but
> I would be interested in any feedback.
>
> TIA
>
> Jason Stevens
>

> On 9/28/07, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> > I am attempting to build SimH for Linux. When I do what it says in
> > this C&P from my terminal,
> > root at jimkirk:/usr/local/src/simh# make USE_NETWORK=1 -f makefile
> > gcc -std=c99 -O2 -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -g -lm -D_GNU_SOURCE -I .
> > PDP1/pdp1_lp.c PDP1/pdp1_cpu.c PDP1/pdp1_stddev.c PDP1/pdp1_sys.c
> > PDP1/pdp1_dt.c PDP1/pdp1_drm.c PDP1/pdp1_clk.c PDP1/pdp1_dcs.c scp.c
> > sim_console.c sim_fio.c sim_timer.c sim_sock.c sim_tmxr.c sim_ether.c
> > sim_tape.c -I PDP1 -o BIN/pdp1
> > /tmp/ccDInJAr.o(.text+0x5d): In function `sim_os_ms_sleep_init':
> > /usr/local/src/simh/sim_timer.c:302: undefined reference to `clock_getres'
> >
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [BIN/pdp1] Error 1
> >
> > I get that. Any suggestions? Please note that this is on Slackware
> > Linux (Intel x86).
> >
> > --
> > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> > "This signature was once found posting rude
> > messages in English in the Moscow subway."

Hello!
Probably would. Except that I did finally resolve my problems based on
the advice later in the thread.  It happens that to make it work for
building using the Linux tools and indeed activating the Ethernet
support functions, you (or whoever else does it next) needs to add the
same time library to the one for networking.

Ideally we need to move to using the auto* tools and the way
everything else  is normally built for Linux and probably Minimal GNU
as well.

Now the joker behind all of this, how did you build the resulting
binaries on your chosen distribution? And more importantly which one?

To be honest I do not recall seeing that happen on the earlier release
I happened to be running on this collection of machines.

Also we should continue this within the list. It makes more sense that
way. Also the SourceForge site isn't friendly towards the browser
that's distributed with KDE, probably works with Mozilla but since I
only use that reluctantly on this desktop.....
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com