[Simh] Fwd: 8-inch floppies and Blinking Lights.

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:47:07 EDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Brett Bump <bbump at rsts.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Gregg Levine wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> > I'm not sure about the status of this one, but the fellow behind E11
> > once created a gizmo that would allow an 8-inch device to be used in a
> > 51/4 arrangement. Remember I am describing it based on third hand
> > information.
> >
> > But I am reasonably certain that Stan Q, can help our questioner.
> >
> > Also 8-inch hardware frequently surfaces at used equipment meets.
> >
> > --
> > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> > "This signature was once found posting rude
> >  messages in English in the Moscow subway."
> >

> The "fellow" behind E11 is John Wilson (dbit.com).  He also at one time
> built a register display interface for the PC so you could see address
> and data bits (just like on the REAL PDP-11's we use to run).  Alas, the
> last time I talked to John about this, I think he made a number of these
> (taking a loss in the process), but didn't sell very many (if at all).
> A designer with true skills and talent, trying to make a simple buck in
> a very limited market with not much left except we few hobby users.
>
> Brett

Hello!
Very true! It happens he did send me a board. Right now its waiting
for me to track down the DB25 connector for the connection to the
system I've got in mind. That came up during  the course of events
regarding a wirewrap board for the UniBUS or Q-BUS systems. (I am
including both because I do not recall which one it was.) It happens I
was the only one interested in the thing, so he agreed to send it to
me along with the aforementioned board.

He did sadly take a loss on those after concluding that we hobbyists
were the only ones actually interested in them.

For my part I am interested in hooking gadgetry to a PDP-11 family
member to see how to best control a circuit I've built using the
talents of such a system.  But that's where the board comes in, and
once everything is ready there I'll be.

Why? Did you actually build one? Care to share photographs of it?
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com