[Simh] Anyone else running VAX on Solaris x86 64-bit?

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Mon Nov 26 02:02:51 EST 2007

I've been struggling to get a virtual VAX running on my Solaris 10 U3
system as a 64-bit application (so that I can have large virtual hard
drives). The problem isn't so much getting the VAX to run but instead in
getting networking working.

The 32-bit vax binary works just fine, getting full DECnet, TCP/IP, and
even VAXcluster working just fine (with a hardware Alpha system that the
virtual VAX will soon be replacing).

The 64-bit vax, however, works just fine except that its networking is
completely inoperative.

I've been digging through both libpcap (0.9.8) and sim_ether.c to see
what it could be that's causing the problem in a 64-bit environment. I
finally just narrowed it down to bufmod. If I modify libpcap's config.h
so that HAVE_SYS_BUFMOD_H isn't defined (with a couple of other
interdependent tweaks), I can get the 64-bit vax to work just fine.

Before I look more closely to find out whether it's a problem with
bufmod or libpcap's use of it as a 64-bit library, I thought I'd just
see whether others had already been down this road before, perhaps with
more success than I had had.

Thanks,
--Marc