[Simh] TECO for simh/RT11 ?

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Wed May 16 13:26:38 EDT 2007

> Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:18:32 -0400
> From: "Ethan Dicks" <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>

> On 5/16/07, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

>>   What are people doing for a text editor on simh and RT11?  KEDs et al
>> requires a VT52 or VT100 terminal, which doesn't work with simh under
>> Windows.

> Dunno what to suggest for Windows, unless you can find some way to
> fire off a Kermit session that can connect to a simh session (since
> Kermit does allow network logins - I use it all the time to move ROM
> images via TCP/IP to a DOS-based EPROM burner).  The VT100 emulation
> in Kermit should be good enough to run KED (the only thing I'd be
> concerned about is the keypad emulation, since DEC editors are
> notoriously dependent on the keypad - I remember it being important
> which terminal emulation program I chose 20 years ago as some would
> let me use the editor, some would not).

Some of the SimH simulators I have tried allow you to attach a network port to
a terminal device.  When I need to use EMACS on Tops-20 or ITS on SimH, I use
PuTTY to telnet into a port (5000 for Tops-20, 4000 for ITS) on localhost to
get a terminal session.

This worked for TSS on a PDP-8 and the foreground/background OSes on the 18-bit
DEC hardware as well as the 36-bit hardware.

I don't know how well it would work with KED, but that's where to start (the
terminal line device in your PDP-11 simulator of choice).

                                                                Rich