[Simh] Building PDP-10 with Visual C++ 2005 Express

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Wed May 2 09:25:00 EDT 2007

Rich,

> In order to delve more deeply into the mechanics of disk drive emulation in
> SimH, I have been trying to build the PDP-10 emulator using the zero-cost
> Visual C++ 2005 Express product from Microsoft.  After figuring out how to
> make it point to all the necessary include and lib files (including
> downloading the Win32 SDK), I am having a problem with unresolved externals
> in the linker.
[...]
> I feel certain that this is due to something I've missed, but being neither
> a C programmer nor an IDE user I haven't a clue what it might be.
>
> Advice, anyone?  All I want to do is fire up a debugger on this and watch
> how it does certain operations.

Get a (n)makefile for Visual C++ from my website at
http://vms.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/simh-37-0-makefile_vc.txt

I have used that to build SimH (all emulators) successfully using
Visual C++ 2003 Express (plus Win32 SDK; plus .NET Framework - no
idea whether it's needed. I stole the setup instructions from perl,
and it was included there).

HTH,
  Martin