[Simh] Transferring files to/from the virtual machine

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 28 09:57:34 EDT 2007

FTP works quite well transferring files to and from my virtual vax.  But, when I want to populate the web site on the vax with a couple of gigabytes, it takes a while - a long while.

I found that making use of the tape drive is a lot faster..

This is windows specific.
In my ini file, I attach a file to TS (VAX.TAP in my case).

Startup the VAX.

In windows, run a program to copy the desired files to the tape.  I use one of my own -

http://68.150.151.106/simh/maketape.zip  (not always up)

The gui is a little clumsy in places - if anyone wants to use it email me and I'll scribble up some instructions.

anyway -

here is the overall approach

Load VMS.TAP with the files being transferred
on vms
mount msa0:vms vms
copy msa0:*.* *.*  (for example)
dismount/NOUNLOAD msa0:

you are now free to use VMS.TAP again on the host system - loading more files for example and then repeat the above process

If you don't use the nounload option, then you have to bounce back to the SCP console to attach VMS.TAP to TS again...

Villy