[Simh] Auto shutdown

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 28 09:29:43 EDT 2007

There have been a few discussions going about what to do when the host operating system wants to shut down.

had included added some code to provide automatic shutdown to my
modifications for dynamic throttling of the VAX emulation.  That
approach was complex enough that I wouldn't want to repeat the exercise
now that IDLE works so well..

What I think could be done is to
add a virtual UPS signaling feature to SCP.  When enabled, it signals
the virtual OS using a control lead on a serial port (e.g. DSR on the
first DZ line).  IIRC this was the approach used by a number of UPS
manufacturers.  A monitor process would have to run under VMS (in my
particular case) which would be responsible for issuing the shutdown
command.

The SCP code to handle the request from the native OS
to shutdown would native OS specific.  I can resurrect the code that I
developed for Windoze, perhaps one of you *ix experts could do
something similar for the *ix environment...

Any thoughts ??

Villy