[Simh] T-11 RT-11 box from the design contest?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Tue Jun 19 12:23:51 EDT 2007

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> I think the thing that's a strike against
> the T-11 is that since it doesn't have an MMU, it can't run 2BSD,
> effectively leaving RT-11 as the only option, which leads to
> unresolved and unresolvable licensing issues.

The modifications necessary to make RT-11 4.0 run on the Falcon
are known as "FART-11" and are in the DECUS library as 11-605.
While a T-11 is in the Falcon, there would presumably still be some
further customizations necessary for block device drivers.

I won't advocate breaking licensing agreements but it wouldn't
be hard for anyone to download RT-11 4.0, apply the patches,
and make a Falcon-ready version.

And there are so many RQDX3's out there I can't see any ethical
problems in harvesting T11's from them. It's certain that the number
of RQDX3's outnumbers the remaining working MFM hard drives :-).
(Heck, I think that statement may have been true in 1990!)

Tim.