[Simh] T-11 RT-11 box from the design contest?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:42:16 EDT 2007

Hi, Bob,

I was answering a question on the classiccmp list about the T-11 and
while researching it, I ran across your T-11 page at
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/semi/t11.html

I had no idea you designed a small T-11-based RT-11 project. Was that
one of the PDT-11 models or something else?

The other thing that makes me think about the T-11 lately is that in
the Spare Time Gizmos Yahoo Group, Bob Armstrong has been discussing
what project to do next.  The T-11 came up for discussion, as did the
IM6100.  I'd like to learn more about your T-11 design, as it might be
the inspiration for a new STG project.  Do you happen to know if it's
still possible to purchase T-11s, or would we have to harvest them
from DEC peripherals?  CPU availability is one of the reasons that Bob
did a "last buy" on the SBC6120, and would affect interest in starting
a new project.  Many hobbyists wouldn't mind borrowing a CPU from an
RQDX3 (I have several), but it's obviously not what you want to base a
business plan on.

The Spare Time Gizmos discussions are wide open right now, ranging
from a simple front-panel-based 6100 design up to a modern
microcontroller (Atmel or Microchip) emulating a classic processor.
Besides chip availability, I think the thing that's a strike against
the T-11 is that since it doesn't have an MMU, it can't run 2BSD,
effectively leaving RT-11 as the only option, which leads to
unresolved and unresolvable licensing issues.

So... mostly, I'm just curious about your T-11 design and wanted to
frame the context in which my curiosity arises.

Cheers,

-ethan