[Simh] trying to get the OpenVMS 7.1 CD to boot

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Wed Jul 18 07:22:47 EDT 2007

Hi!

> For reference, this is how I got VMS 7.1 up on SIMH

Good to hear you got it working.

Thanks for the tip on dd for Windows.

> I'm running VMS on a quad-core AMD Opteron (2.2Ghz * 4)
> machine running Vista, and VMS seems *very* fast. One core of
> the CPU is pinned at 100% running SIMH, but the PC remains
> very responsive.

If you have the latest version 3.7-1 of SimH, you can switch on
CPU idling by

SET CPU IDLE=VMS

in your INI file.

> Booted for half an hour now, and it's quite
> stable. I'm impressed. Does anyone use SIMH to run VMS in
> production environments?

Nope. But it's great to carry a VMS system with me on my notebook.

cu,
  Martin
Microsoft isn't the Borg:  | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
the Borg have proper       |       http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/