[Simh] Slow VMS I/O

Michael Unger unger at decus.de
Tue Jul 17 12:33:44 EDT 2007

On 2007-07-17 16:40, "bsupnik at comcast.net" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Questions for Villy, since Richard has seen the same symptoms with big disks.

I'm neither Villy nor Richard -- but here is what I'm using: the
pre-compiled Windows executable (MicroVAX 3900, extended memory
firmware, VMS v7.3 still without any patches) without network support,
currently SimH v3.7-0, not yet v3.7-2. The "host system" is Windows XP
SP2 with 1 GB of RAM.

> 1. What size disks are you using?

System disk: 1 GB, user disk(s) 1.5 GB to stay below the 2 GB limit.

> 2. Are they standard disks, or custom size disks?

Custom size, built using the "mkdisk" utility of Software Resources
International primarily intended to create CHARON disks.

> 3. Do you shut VMS down cleanly when you stop simulating?

Yes.

Michael