[Simh] fortran availability for RSX-11m

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 23:28:15 EST 2007

On 1/30/07, Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Hello!
> I agree. Our government has made available for download the routines used
> for processing the data returned from such satellites as the OSO8 who flew
> during the late 1970s. For that they used the PDP11 and Fortran to process
> the data.
>
> They naturally do not say which OS was used, but I suspect it was a
> representative of UNIX, which we do have, but I'm not sure if there is a
> Fortran compiler on those disks.

A moderate sample of the source code might show to the experienced
observer whether it was a Unix-based Fortran or (more likely in my
opinion) DEC Fortran.   One should also be able to tell by inspection
whether it was DEC Fortran IV or Fortran 77.

Unix Fortran should be available on one or more of the distributions
archived at Tuhs/Pups.  Probably as f2c, the Fortran to C translator.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu