[Simh] slirp (Usermode nat) integration and VS2005 fun...

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:41:01 EDT 2007

I've gotten some limited success with integrating slirp from qemu into
simh.  I'm just not positive if it's my vax's IP setup that slirp isn't
liking, or if I'm not passing packets correctly into simh.

Currently I'm have tested with the 11/780 & the microvax.  The 11/780
running RENO doesn't seem to recognize any of the input packets, and just
tags them as errors.  Running the microvax with Quasijarus0c seems to
resolve arp of the slirp interface ( 10.0.2.2) just fine.  However while
trying anythign tcp related I get this on the console:

qe0: transmit timeout, restarted 0
qe0: transmit timeout, restarted 1

I've also tested with OpenBSD 4.0, and same story as far as I can ARP, but
ICMP bombs.  I traced into slirp and it says that the packets are too
short.... I'll try to debug this some more later.

If anyone wants to build this, you'll need Visual C++ 2005.  I'm using the
express edition, with the platform SDK.  If you want to redistrubte any of
the exe's you make, be sure to have installed IE6, the dotnet 2.0 framework
& the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (Why they don't
push it out via Windows Update is beyond me.....)  Oh be sure to use SP1 on
VC2005, as it has all kinds of manifest 'issues'..

You can download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en

If anyone wants to download my project its available at:

http://www.vaxenrule.com/Shared%20Documents/VC2005%20native%20build%20of%20all%20simh.zip

Jason