[Simh] RSX11M+ vs SIMH/Linux

Yves Lavoie ing. yves.lavoie.ing at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 21:06:05 EDT 2007

I have few issues with Simh and am in need for advice.

1- Using multiple DL11s for serial transfer.

I need to transfer files into a Simh system (Linux version) running a
RSX11M-Plus emulation.
This base system doesn't run DECNET nor TCP/IP, so transfert must be
done through RT11 dsk with suitable conversion or emulated serial lines.
I decided to use the latter and was planning to setup a DL11 on a Linux
virtual serial line, i.e. map RSX-11M+ TT1: onto Linux /dev/ptyzf, and
use a serial transfer program lime Kermit using Linux /dev/ttyzf. This
setup works under Ersatz E11 with any of the pty/tty pairs.

I am not able to attach the lines and haven't found the proper syntax to
do so. For example, this doesn't work,
set TTIX enabled
set TTOX enabled
set TTIX 8b
set TTOX 8b
set TTIX lines=1
attach TTIX "/dev/ptyzf"

Simh isn't able to attach the pseudo-device. Also, how does ones do to
attach a line to the others DL11?

2- Mixing RM03 and RP06 on the same system.
No matter what I tried, I cannot make an RM03 come online on 11M+.
Doing this:
set RP0 RM03
set RP2 RP06
attach RP0 Disks/rm03.dsk
attach RP1 Disks/rp06.dsk

makes the RP1 seen on RHA1 (DB1:) and RP0 on RHB0 (DR0:)
But RHB0 is staying offline and appears on the 11M+ CON utility as
Offline,Prv_Diag,Massbus,Driver
I tried reversing the order, using the RM03 alone, nothing. Any advice?

Yves Lavoie