[Simh] VMS + 5 users == major slowdown

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:14:24 EST 2006

Hi all

I just installed VMS 7.2 on SIMH on a 900 MHz machine here, and when I
open more than 5 terminal sessions (PuTTY, from a windows box), all
terminals instantly slow waaaay down. Performance is pretty good up
until I open the fifth one, at which point it takes perhaps 15 seconds
or more to do "dir" on my (nearly empty) home directory.

Is this due to misconfigured VMS, or is it just that my machine is too
slow to handle more than a few user processes at a time? I'm just
thinking that, considering the resources available on the earlier
VAXen, I should be able to support quite a few users even when
simulating on this fast box.

In case it's important, I have the system set up pretty much exactly
as described in Phil Wherry's tutorial, with 64 MB of RAM for the VAX.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn