[Simh] VMS TCP/IP?

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 24 21:43:35 EST 2006

Hiya,
    I'm one of those unfortunate souls who doesn't have a domain name of their own.  I'm operating behind a home router, which is in turn hooked somehow to Verizon, and so it goes.
    The problem I am having is with getting a TCP/IP package to work.  I've tried using the one supplied on the VMS hobbyist kit, and though it configures just fine it proves troublesome in areas which even the emulated OpenBSD system did right.  The main problem centers around my nonexistent domain name.
    I use dyndns.org to essentially give me a fake DNS record in most domain name servers.  Doesn't hold up well under reverse DNS lookup, but still.  When I try to configure TCP/IP from the hobbyist kit, everything appears to work fine except for the IVP.  That returns the following:
%system-f-logname, no logical name match.  I don't have any idea what logical name its looking for.  The SMTP server, similarly, refuses to accept incoming messages for seemingly the same reason.
    As I said, OpenBSD, also running on the same emulated VAX, with the same Delqa emulation and such configured, works.  I don't know why.  I'm not a particularly experienced OpenVMS user.  Thought that switching to something like Multinet might help the situation, but Process Software's FTP site seems conveniently down...
Any help at all on this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Yours,
Zack.