[Simh] Writing tap files back to a real tape

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 24 00:21:54 EST 2006

At 7:15 PM -0800 11/23/06, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>   Is there a program (preferably for VMS, since that's where I have
>the hardware) to write a tape image file back to a real tape ?

Good question, what would it take to modify the TCP-to-TAP program to
do TAP-to-TPC?

I do know one or two ways to do this, but neither will be easy.  If
you're running a new enough version of RSX-11M+ you can read the TAP
file in under an emulator to a RSX-11M+ virtual tape image.  That
image can then be copied to a real PDP-11 running RSX-11M+ (I've done
this using both CD-R's and ethernet), and then you can write it out
to a real tape.  The frightening thing here is I started out with TPC
images that I was requested to convert.

An alternative to this that would probably work would require either
VMS running on the VAX emulator or RSX-11M or M+ running on the
PDP-11 emulator.  Then use the appropriate TPC utility to create a
TPC image when reading the TAP file with the emulator.  Then you have
to copy the resulting images out of the emulator.  I'm guessing doing
this under VMS would be the easiest as that's the easiest way to get
networking software.  I have not done this, but as the M+ virtual
tape solution works, this should as well.

		Zane