[Simh] minimal hardware for VAX

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Nov 6 19:47:04 EST 2006

At 7:11 PM -0500 11/6/06, John Floren wrote:
>Hi everybody
>I'm just wondering what kind of hardware is the minimal recommended
>system to run the VAX simulator and VMS. I've got an Ultra 1 (170 Mhz
>or so, 64 MB of RAM, Solaris) sitting here, but I don't think it could
>handle it (also, does Solaris do ethernet emulation?).
>Thanks in advance

I don't have any experience with VAX emulation, however, based on
other emulation on Sparcs, that might be a bit underpowered.  A
couple of comments, an Ultra 1 can be 143Mhz, 170Mhz, or 200Mhz.  One
of the biggest problems you will have is the amount of RAM.  With
Solaris even 2.6 is very tight in just 64MB, let alone something more
modern (easy to get).  Personally if I had an Ultra 1 I'd probably be
running OpenBSD on it, and it would handle your low memory config
with no problem (really wish they'd get Multiprocessor support in
OpenBSD/Sparc64).

No idea on the ethernet question.

		Zane