[Simh] OpenVMS VAX XDM Greeter

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 16:34:58 EDT 2006

On 6/18/06, Andrew Prusek <aprusek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/06, Tim Pinkawa <timpinkawa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The recent discussions about using Cygwin/X to overcome the lack of
> > video support in SIMH got me interested in setting it up. Now I
> > realize this is a trivial issue, but I was wondering if the XDM login
> > screen was supposed to look this plain:
>

> Yes it is. Unless you run a different greeter program or run additional
> x-clients
> on either system  to make things more interesting.
>

> > http://timbo87.home.comcast.net/temp/openvmsxdm.png
> > (The blacked out area was my own editing)
>

> Remember this well. :-)
>

> > I have OpenVMS running on Alpha and the login screen is much nicer
> > looking. Like I said, this is admittedly a trivial complaint, but I
> > was wondering if I was doing something wrong.
>

> The standard "look" is not very appealing so DEC/COMPAQ/HP jazzed things up.

So what's wrong with a plain login screen?  After all, all you do with
it is log in.  I suppose you could worry about screen burn-in if the
computer sat around for a long time displaying the same static login
screen.  Used to happen with early versions of NeXTstep.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu