[Simh] OpenVMS VAX XDM Greeter

Andrew Prusek aprusek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 05:02:27 EDT 2006

On 6/18/06, Tim Pinkawa <timpinkawa at gmail.com> wrote:

> The recent discussions about using Cygwin/X to overcome the lack of
> video support in SIMH got me interested in setting it up. Now I
> realize this is a trivial issue, but I was wondering if the XDM login
> screen was supposed to look this plain:

Yes it is. Unless you run a different greeter program or run additional
x-clients
on either system  to make things more interesting.

http://timbo87.home.comcast.net/temp/openvmsxdm.png
> (The blacked out area was my own editing)

Remember this well. :-)

I have OpenVMS running on Alpha and the login screen is much nicer
> looking. Like I said, this is admittedly a trivial complaint, but I
> was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

The standard "look" is not very appealing so DEC/COMPAQ/HP jazzed things up.

Thanks,