[Simh] Two questions

Tim Riker Tim at Rikers.org
Wed Jul 12 12:20:59 EDT 2006

Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> First Question:
> I have TMPFS configured and probably working on my freshly activated and
> running Linux system. SimH is also setup to run there. Now the question: How
> would I go about informing the PDP-11 or VAX simulator that there is a
> location on my physical system called <name> and that it uses TMPFS and that
> it can use it as a virtual disk image up to about 10M. (Meg)

Most Linux distros mount tmpfs on /dev/shm and allow all users write
access with the sticky bit set like /tmp. tmpfs is is primarily ram
based but will swap pages to disk like process memory.

The kernel by default sets the max size of tmpfs to half of ram. This is
very conservative. I often set the size up to all of RAM plus all of
swap as tmpfs will swap to disk. Now that's a bit aggresive on the other
end as you'll be in trouble if you really fill that up. You won't have
any space left for processes. :)

A better size choice would be someplace in the middle, perhaps half or
ram plus half of swap? I would just change the size of /dev/shm and NOT
mount another tmpfs mount someplace else. Something like:

mount -o remount,size=3G /dev/shm

Many distros have boot settings someplace to change this. For Debian
it's the setting SHM_SIZE in /etc/default/tmpfs, for SuSE it's
SHMFS_SIZE in /etc/sysconfig/kernel for example.

I'm not sure how you would tell simh pdp-11 about it. You could copy
disk images over there and then tell simh to use those, but then you
need to be sure to copy any disk images back that you wish to preserve
changes as the tmpfs files disappear on the next reboot.

I'll leave the other ?s to those with more pdp-11 knowledge.
--
Tim Riker - http://Rikers.org/ - TimR at Debian.org
Embedded Linux Technologist - http://eLinux.org/