[Simh] VAX 780 & BSD 4.2

Jason jsteve at vaxenrule.com
Mon Jan 30 23:59:35 EST 2006

Sorry to waste bandwidth on this, but emailing Scott got me this:

'staylor at mrynet.com' on 1/30/06 11:53 PM
            Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
	The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
;p=VaxenRule;l=EXCHANGE-060131045242Z-22
            MSEXCH:IMS:VaxenRule:VAXENRULE:EXCHANGE 3550 (000B09AA) 550
5.0.0 SPAM - dsl.speakeasy.net

I'm guess its yet another thing not configured correctly....

Anyway, Scott here is my reply:

I'm using this as a 'template' between the two 'vaxes'..

Set rq0 ra82
At rq0 bob.dsk
Set rq1 dis
Set rq2 dis
Set rq3 dis
Set lpt dis
Set ts dis
Set rl dis
Set tq tk50
Att tq0 42.tap
Set tti 7b
Set tto 7b

The only thing I change is the tape drive from tq0 or tu0.. although the 780
is less than thrilled... Im thinking that Bobs end goal is to get VMS 1.0 to
run; so the better route would possibly be how do you bootstrap VMS 1.0 vs
the installation guide for 4.2 BSD ...

I'm using the files from the Quasijarus components for the 4.3 tape boot
bits since it appears to be newer, but for some reason its compressed with
'strong compression' which I seem to only be able to uncompress on a 4.3
Quasijarus box... Thankfully virtual machines are cheap!

I followed these instructions: http://www.itsecuritygeek.com/drupal/43quas
<http://www.itsecuritygeek.com/drupal/43quas>  to get a 4.3 Quasijarus box
up & running to uncompress the tape pieces...

http://www.itsecuritygeek.com/downloads/43bsd/quas0c.tap.bz2
<http://www.itsecuritygeek.com/downloads/43bsd/quas0c.tap.bz2>  should
hopefully still contain a 'good' tape image of Quasijarus 0c.  If that link
doesn't work I have the file, so I can post it somewhere
(http://www.vaxenrule.com/Operating%20Systems/Forms/AllItems.htm
<http://www.vaxenrule.com/Operating%20Systems/Forms/AllItems.htm>  ) or
something to that effect.

The 4.3 stand & miniroot are from
(http://www.tribug.org/pub/tuhs/4BSD/Distributions/4.3BSD-Quasijarus0a/
<http://www.tribug.org/pub/tuhs/4BSD/Distributions/4.3BSD-Quasijarus0a/> )
although they are 'strongly compressed' and the quickest way to uncompress
them is with the Quasijarus VAX...

I'm using these as my 'seed' for the 4.2 bits.  I'm assuming these read
clean since there is no note of short reads, unlike its parent directory.
http://www.tribug.org/pub/tuhs/4BSD/Distributions/4.2BSD/Per_Andersson/
<http://www.tribug.org/pub/tuhs/4BSD/Distributions/4.2BSD/Per_Andersson/>

The installation manual does give some insight, but it defiantly screams you
need to be able to boot off of the rx0 floppy on a 780, but a 'nice' pdf is
here http://www.cilinder.be/docs/bsd/4.2BSD_Unix_system_manual.pdf
<http://www.cilinder.be/docs/bsd/4.2BSD_Unix_system_manual.pdf>

I'm now thinking since the Quasijarus directory says 0a there were issues in
the release notes about not being able to cleanly init a disk.. It was fixed
in 0c.....

I think at some point in all of this I did get the 780 to load the stand
program, but it timed out on tape/disk access...  I should have kept better