[Simh] VAX 780 & BSD 4.2

Jason jsteve at vaxenrule.com
Mon Jan 30 20:33:37 EST 2006

I think I left out the critical part that my hybrid tape was to boot with
the regular microvax & try to restore the 4.2 filesystem with the 4.3 stand
Sorry about that.

I'm trying to boot a tk50 on tq0.

The best I can get off of the 780 booting is a :

HALT instruction, PC: 00005374 (JSB 494)

... which doesn't mean much.  The 4.2 stand does this:

 2..
-MUA0
 1..0..

HALT instruction, PC: 00004A01 (HALT)

Which means that basically Im going nowhere fast...

To build the tapes Im running it like this:

backwr -Tc 42/tape1-file1 >42.tap
backwr -Tc 42/tape1-file2 >>42.tap
backwr -Tc 42/tape1-file3 >>42.tap
backwr -Tc 42/tape1-file4 >>42.tap
backwr -Tc 42/tape1-file5 >>42.tap
backwr -Tc 42/tape1-file6 >>42.tap
backwr -Tc /dev/null >>42.tap

Sometimes I really take for granted the firmware in 'newer' computers,
although I know the 780's were pretty much built to run VMS..