[Simh] DECtape emulation

Alan Frisbie frisbie at Flying-Disk.com
Fri Feb 10 15:41:44 EST 2006

> I would like to suggest that DECtapes be emulated as streams of 8-bit bytes
> representing the 10-bit frames on the tapes themselves.

> A minor benefit of such an emulation would be to allow the PDP-11 emulator to
> handle "non-standard" tapes correctly, with the 17th and 18th bits presented in
> the status register of the DECtape controller.

> Does this kind of emulation appeal to anyone else?

I would very much like to see this done.   I have a TU56
on one of my PDP-11 systems and this very issue came up.
It would be nice to have them operate the same.   If I
understand correctly, this would allow a simulated PDP-10
DECtape to be read correctly on a SIMH PDP-11 in
exactly the same manner as on the real hardware.

Alan

--  Alan E. Frisbie               Frisbie at Flying-Disk.Com
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          323-256-2575
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065