[Simh] help about simh report error.

Jerry Ethington jethington at mac.com
Fri Sep 30 01:07:00 EDT 2005

>the vax.ini
>
>;
>; Attach Ethernet to a network interface
>set xq mac=08-00-2B-AA-BB-CC
>attach xq \Device\NPF_{608B11E9-A164-41F6-9649-3BD30434FC71}
>
>i run it in my ibook G4.with SIMH 3.4 ,the error report is same.
>
>anyone can help me?thanks!
>
>by the way,i dont understand the follow words,who can explain to me?
>thank you very much!!!
>
>attach xq \Device\NPF_{608B11E9-A164-41F6-9649-3BD30434FC71}

These two commands are a little bit suspect.

The set command: not sure why you have this in the file.  About the
only use I've heard of for this command is to use a wireless card
adapter as described in the SIMH FAQ file.  Very few people are doing
this, and if you aren't you should probably remove this line from the
command file.

The attach command is seriously broke - it not only is a syntax that
only works on Windoze systems, but worse it is for only one specific
Windoze machine's hardware.  I guarantee it will NEVER work on an
iBook, and it will only work on one particular Windoze machine.

You should run the emulator and type "show xq eth" to get a list of
known ethernet interfaces on your system.  Choose the interface you
want to use, then select that interface in you vax.ini file with "set
xq ethN" where N is the number of the interface to use.  In most
cases, you'll end up using the first interface on your system, number
0, with the "set xq eth0" command.

One last thing for the iBook - be sure not to forget to install the
ChmodBPF startup item that came with the libpcap sources.  It changes
the ownership on the /dev/bpf* interfaces so the simulator can use
the libpcap library without being run as root.

Hope this helps,

Jerry
--

"Quando omni, flunkus moritati."