[Simh] Could I pick anybody's brain on simh Vax LAN connection to its (unix based) host

Galen Tackett gtackett at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 18:36:10 EDT 2005

I've been struggling for some time to get my simh Vax to be able to
network to the host system. That the host is OS X 10.3.9 is of course
important, but don't let that stop you if you have any experience from
other Unix-based systems that might be helpful.

My intent is to have simh connect to en1 and be able to use TCP/IP from
the simh VAX to both my host OS X which uses en0, and to the internet
through the firewall NAT box to which both en0 and en1 are connected.

At this point I'd rather elaborate on what I've tried or haven't tried.
If you'd be willing to try to help please contact me by email and we'll
see where we might be able to go with this.

I should mention that I'm using a pretty recent libpcap v0.9 from June
of this year, rather than OS X 10.3.9's built in 0.8.x which isn't
compatible with simh.

Also, let me express my gratitude to Mark P. who has already been
helpful with troubleshooting several problems, including a small bug
that we found and fixed in simh's ethernet emulation code for the vax
and pdp-11.

Thanks,

Galen
gltmailbox-vms at yahoo.com