[Simh] Curious Observation About SIMH VAX Simulator...

Robert Alan Byer byer at mail.ourservers.net
Wed Oct 19 18:35:54 EDT 2005

I've been noticing a few things now about the VAX simulator and wondered
if anyone has seen the same behavior.

No matter what machine I'm running it on, no matter the OS or even using the
pre-compiled executables from the site, I'm seeing various degrees of
"slowness".

What I mean is, one time it will boot OpenVMS lighting fast, almost as
fast as my
Alpha (running on my 2.6GHz P4 laptop).  But if I shut down, close the
window and
come back and restart, its as slow as a dog sometimes taking up to 15
minutes to
boot up OpenVMS.  The problem is, it's random, sometimes the first run
can take
5 to 15 minutes other times it starts right up.  I had one run that took
over a half
hour to boot OpenVMS.

I thought that maybe it was my system.  I've tried this on just about
every machine
I can get my hands on and I see the same thing.  I've compiled my own
version
under MinGW, Cygwin, Solaris and Linux and see the same thing.  All the
compiles
were without any optimizations (-O0) and the -march flag set to the
machines CPU type.

I've tried with and without ethernet support, same thing, random slowdowns.

It's just strange, one run will be fast and I can get a lot done, other
boots I have
to wait  forever for it just to come up.  It just seems like on the fast
runs "something"
is being initialized or set up faster than the other runs for some reason.

Anyone else noticed this?  Any ideas here?