[Simh] VAX: CPU Usage and Network Timeout

Aaron Walsh walsham at jmusa.com
Wed Jun 8 11:26:37 EDT 2005

I have Simh 3.2 running on Fedora Core 1.  Everything works, but there
are two things that concern me.

1) I am also seeing packet drops (every minute or so for 5-10 seconds)
when I try to connect from a remote machine.  I am not sure if it is
because the CPU is pegged at 100% or if it has something to do with the
emulator?  Has anyone else seen this?  It will drop my Telnet connect
every few minutes.

2)CPU usage is about 100% on the Linux box.  I have searched google and
found that is to be expected.  I tried using the code below in the
sim_console.c file but regardless of the value of timeout.tv_usec is
used the emulated VAX was VERY slow.

+#if 1
+int sel_ret;
+struct timeval timeout;

+timeout.tv_sec = 0;
+timeout.tv_usec = 1000;
+
+fd_set setl;
+FD_ZERO(&setl);
+FD_SET(0, &setl);
+sel_ret = select(1, &setl, NULL, NULL, &timeout);
+if (sel_ret < 1) return SCPE_OK;
+#endif

Anyone else have any ways to have simh use less CPU?

Thanks,
Aaron

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com