[Simh] SIMH/Vax woes

Hittner, David T. david.hittner at ngc.com
Tue Jun 7 08:23:01 EDT 2005

> >for creating the ISO from the VMS CDs, I used Nero V5.5.x. In the
> >"recorder" menu, there is the option for "save track", just set the
> >file type to ISO, click on "go" and you're done ! this
> should work with
> >newer versions also, and other programs might have the same
> capability.
> >this could be an alternative test to the linux dd to see if
> your CD is
> >really scrap.
> >

> Unfortunately I don't have Nero V5.5.x, or any version of
> Nero come to that, other than Nero *Express* 6. The CD/DVD
> writing program I use is one that came with the drive, called
> "B's", and if either of these programs has the facility to
> create an ISO image from a CD, I can't find it.

Don't look for the ISO keyword, which is usually associated with
the format of the output CD. The ISO keyword is wrong for the bootable
VMS CD's, since they are not ISO formatted - they are ODS-2 formatted.

Many CD burning programs have a feature similar to "Read Track".

The VAX Hobbyist CD has a single track for VMS that can be read
and saved to a file, which is the Windows equivilent of 'dd'.
If you name the save file extension '.iso' that's up to you;
it has no intrinsic meaning, and does not change the format of the
track.

Roxio has had this feature since around version 4. It depends on
the version, but it's usually found on a Tools or Device/Track menu
in the CD Creator.

----- CAUTION -----
I was unable to correctly read my VAX Hobbyist CD
at a high rate of speed. Ripping the track slowly at 4X gave me a good
copy.
Ripping it at 24X+ gave me a corrupt file, which exhibited 'strange'
symptoms like the one you describe with the 'unknown processor' message.
Since you will only need to do this once, try slowing down your rip.
This may be a quality issue with the Hobbyist CD manufacturing process.
----- CAUTION -----

Dave Hittner