[Simh] SIMH/Vax woes

Brian Meadows brian at wellsborocomputing.com
Tue Jun 7 06:39:58 EDT 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:13:08 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>if you need a cd ISO image for test booting, you could use the netbsd
>image:
>
>howto-page:
>http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/emulator-howto.html
>
>there is a link to the image:
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/2.0/vaxcd.iso

OK, thanks, I'll try that. I wasn't aware of the NetBSD image.

>I tried the same in the beginning before I got my  VMS CDs ...
>
>BTW, why didn't you use the precompiled windows versions available at:
>http://simh.trailing-edge.com/sources/simhv34-0-exe.zip
>or
>http://simh.trailing-edge.com/sources/simhv34-0-exe-ether.zip
>
>at least for the windows environment (and for testing), I would recommend
>that.

Something must have been unclear in my previous posts. I did use
the pre compiled Windows versions. It's only the Linux versions
that needed to be built.

>using this version, it would give you a stable base to see if something is
>wrong with your image or your compilation.
>
>for creating the ISO from the VMS CDs, I used Nero V5.5.x. In the
>"recorder" menu, there is the option for "save track", just set the file
>type to ISO,
>click on "go" and you're done ! this should work with newer versions also,
>and other programs might have the same capability.
>this could be an alternative test to the linux dd to see if your CD is
>really scrap.

Unfortunately I don't have Nero V5.5.x, or any version of Nero
come to that, other than Nero *Express* 6. The CD/DVD writing
program I use is one that came with the drive, called "B's", and
if either of these programs has the facility to create an ISO
image from a CD, I can't find it.

Brian.