[Simh] AW: Simh Digest, Vol 14, Issue 6

Schaffer Michael shf at adv.magwien.gv.at
Wed Jan 12 05:17:15 EST 2005

Hi!

> Like for replacing one of the latest 4000 serve clusters,
> what PC (or other systems) would be adviseable ?
> Did anybody here think about such cases ? Is simh reliable enough ?

We are running simh to emulate our MicroVAX 3100/9x hardware on
intel dual xeon 3GHz boxes (Redhat linux ES-3.0). Each of our 15 intel-boxes emulates
two vax-systems with suitable performance.....

> So, what would be the best hardware for building a really
> "strong" virtual VAX ?

We've tested AMD, Itanium, z900 and xeon cpus, we discoverd the best vax-performance
on xeon cpus. This stops our plan running all our vax-systems on an z900 Linux-lpar....

regards,
Michael Schaffer

ps: Hyperthreading causes system-hangs.....