[Simh] how to move vms backup tapes to the emulator

Kevin Brunt k.brunt at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 14:06:10 EDT 2004

I would have said that using CTRL-E to break out to the simh> prompt
constitutes 'stoppping the emulator', because while you're "changing
tapes", the simulated machine isn't executing instructions.

This is rather 'unaesthetic' - it reduces the 'fidelity' of the
simulation.

What is, perhaps, needed is to turn the structure of SIMH 'upside
down', with the processing of the event queue as the main loop and the
command loop and CPU instruction execution being reimplemented as
events. It then becomes possible to have a separate 'operator
emulation' window, where tape mounts, and similar activities, can be
carried out while the emulator is active.

This actually brings the structure of SIMH closer to what Bob Supnik
described in his recent paper  "SIMH: Forward Into The Past", on the
SIMH website.

A interesting 'wrinkle' would be to implement the command interface by
sending TCP/IP packets at it. The command interface would then be a
separate program, potentially on another machine, and potentially in
control of multiple simulations. The simulation of an entire 'data
center' could be envisaged.

Another implication of this 'inversion' is the possibility of multiple
CPUs. This would entail radical changes to the individual emulations,
particularly in such areas as the use of global variables, but it would
make for interesting possibilites, not only such things as
dual-processor systems, but also some of the more curious things (such
as the PDP-15/76), and also some of the 'tightly-coupled' multiple
machine systems, (eg the DEC PCL-11 and the very similar Data General
Nova 'Multiprocessor Communications Adaptor', both of which did
word-by-word transfers on a multiplexed bus at close to memory bus
speed), not to mention multiple-ported disks, which also need close
coupling.

Kevin

PS 25+ years ago there was a PDP-15/76 running less than 10 feet from
where I'm sitting now. When it was moved in 1978/79 (to the basement of
a house where Bertrand Russell had once lived) it was split back into
its component PDP-15/20 and PDP-11/05, the latter of which may well
have been the only 'Unichannel-15' to run MiniUNIX.