FW: FW: [Simh] SimH vax.exe cpu usage on Windows.

Bishop, Lewis lewis.bishop at eds.com
Wed May 19 17:38:02 EDT 2004

Wow! Thanks to all the replies.

I think the 100% cpu thing boils down to personal preference. I have this
running, together with exchange, a virtual linux and virtual solaris OS' on
a w2k system on a home-grade PC - 1ghz, 1gb memory, stock cooler, poor
ventilation etc - so this system has a fair bit running - without vax.exe it
generally runs at 15-20%.  I have played with overclocking before (on a
different PC) and am 'painfully' aware of how increased heat can have a
detrimental affect on a system! ;-) therefore my specific concern at running
the CPU at 100% is to do with component failure and burn-out - i.e. if the
cpu fan fails resulting in burnt cpu or at worse some sort of ignition.

Whilst vax.exe hands over CPU cycles when asked there is a slowdown on the
system noticed. There are also such things as network timeouts (specifically
with 802.11b wireless connectivity) occurring ONLY when vax.exe is running
so I know there is some effect.

Thanks,

Lewis Bishop