FW: [Simh] SimH vax.exe cpu usage on Windows.

Bishop, Lewis lewis.bishop at eds.com
Tue May 18 16:59:19 EDT 2004

Thanks for the responses so far...

I have a dilemma whereby I cannot really justify a separate system as this
is a home setup and whilst it's nice to have up and running it won't
honestly get much use. The performance of the system itself is actually
okay, however, at times with the load on the system it does affect it quite
a bit - the system is also functioning as a PDC and exchange server and runs
virtual SuSE Linux and Solaris systems with Oracle installed in each - so it
does a fair bit! ;-) Memory is not a problem as it has 1gb - normally
leaving 256mb (25%) free after everything else.

I'm keen to reduce the CPU as I don't like to run the CPU at 100% for long.
I'm not convinced it's good for it, especially as it's not a server grade
system (i.e. it's a beefed up home PC or it was when I bought it 4 years
ago!).  There are a number of discussions around discussing this type of
usage and a lot of concerns are raised not so much over the high CPU usage
but over the other system components that have to run - i.e. cooling fans,
power supply etc... all of these components, having a limited lifetime are
going to fail at some stage - running a fan 24/7 is obviously going to
stress it more than a few hours running per day.

I have set the priority down to low and to be honest it doesn't seem to make
any difference to the overall sysstem performance. I've tried some of the PC
slow utilities but these have not reduced the CPU usage (didn't think they
would). If it cannot be done within SimH then maybe some form of resource
manager would  be good?

Anyone have any further ideas?

Lewis Bishop