[Simh] Raw access to disk/cdrom devices

Christopher Cureau chrisc at addpower.com
Fri Mar 26 10:19:04 EST 2004

I already tried to use /dev/sda as the target device and found out that it
didn't work...that's part of what started me thinking about how to make it
work. :)  Ideally, I'd like to use a device just like VMWare might.  Of
course, we're not emulating a virtual machine of the same type as the host
machine...

I looked at Windows last night...there are api calls for direct disk
access, so it can be done there as well.  I'll admit, though, I'm much
better in unix code than in Windows...

Cheers,
Chris

                    "Zane H. Healy"
                    <healyzh at aracnet.com        To:     simh at trailing-edge.com
                    >                           cc:
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: [Simh] Raw access to disk/cdrom devices
                    simh-bounces at trailin
                    g-edge.com

                    03/25/2004 06:11 PM

>I was thinking about how difficult it would be to add support for
accessing
>physical devices from simh.  My idea was initially to add support for a
>SCSI controller in the pdp11 simulator and then add the code to have it
>talk directly to either a physical SCSI card in the host machine or to the
>individual devices.  I'm not sure how os-independent this can be, however.
>Has anyone else had any thoughts about how this could be implemented?

Under Unix is should simply be a case of doing at "ATTACH RQ0
/dev/cdrom", however, last I checked that doesn't work for some
reason.  Something like this can't really be os-indepentent (except
among the Unix flavors).

               Zane