[Simh] Raw access to disk/cdrom devices

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu Mar 25 20:30:44 EST 2004

> My idea was initially to add support for a SCSI controller
> in the pdp11 simulator

If there were a SCSI-class device driver for a standard PDP-11 operating
system, that is :-).  Generally SCSI host adapters for -11's emulated
MSCP or some other DEC-ish interface.

That said, some VAXen have NCR5380 type SCSI host adapters and there is
a VMS device driver for that.  I can't see why this would be useful for
disk access, but I could see some advantages for doing this for tape
access (no need to stage a tape image).

> I'm not sure how os-independent this can be

Windows had ASPI as of a half-decade ago, I don't know what they do now.

Linux has the /dev/sg "generic SCSI devices".

Tim.