[Simh] Graphical library for emulation

Christopher Cureau chrisc at addpower.com
Thu Mar 11 09:21:46 EST 2004

I saw in the documentation that the need for a good portable graphical
library is needed to get SIMH emulating the graphical console on some
machines.  I'd love to see my emulated VAX pop up its own xterm. :)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but I found SDL (Simple
DirectMedia Layer) on the internet while browsing around the other day.
>From the blurb on the website, it was designed to provide low level access
to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware (needs OpenGL) and a 2D
video framebuffer.  It's got official support for Linux, Windows, BeOS,
MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX.
There is also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS,
Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS.

I know that Bob had some reservations to OpenGL when I last sent an email
to him (it lacks support for key platforms), but if we use the 2D
framebuffer it seems that we could neatly sidestep this issue.  What does
everyone think?

The link to the SDL home page is http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Cheers,
Chris Cureau