[Simh] Problems building simh 3.1 on MacOSX

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Tue Jan 6 00:07:56 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 15:49, David B Sneddon wrote:
> Huw Davies espoused:
> > I'm trying to get simh 3.1 to build cleanly on Mac OSX - I'm running
> > 10.3.2.
> Hi Huw,
>
> I too am using 10.3.2 and problems building it.
>
> > I've had to make a couple of changes to get it to build with ethernet
> > support. These are changes to the makefile to access the correct include
> > files and libraries and I needed to #include bpf.h in sim_ether.c.
>
> Any chance of posting the changes?  I haven't yet had a good look
> at the makefile to try to work out what is going on (and being a VMS
> type will likely get it wrong :-)

Nothing wrong with being a VMS type - my employer pays me to do VMS
about 50% of my time :-)

I've just hacked the makefile (nothing pretty yet) but I'll e-mail it to
you separately along with my "updated" version of sim_ether.c.

> Do the warnings prevent it from building and working?

It builds but I haven't tested it (yet). Will try the VAX first as I
think I understand them best :-)

I wonder if the warnings are just gcc 3.3 being aggressive in producing
warnings rather than it indicating that it won't actually work....
Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"