[Simh] VAX Emulation Speed Ramblings...

Robert Lawrence rob at rjltech.com
Thu Aug 26 14:25:19 EDT 2004

According to
http://www.comwaretech.com/products/legacy_solutions/microvax.shtml,
"The REVIVER-VAX performance scales linearly with the PC's CPU speed.
For integer operations, REVIVER-VAX provides a performance of about one
VAX Unit of Processing (VUP) per 100 MHz of CPU clock. Disk I/O is 5 to
20 times faster than on the original VAX."

How are they doing this?  Are they using some sort of JIT?  I get about
5 VUPs from a 1.2ghz using simh.  According to their calculations, 12
VUPs should be possible.

What methods can be used to increase performance of simh/vax on any
given pc?

Thanks,

Robert Lawrence