[Simh] Re: [Simh-dev] Where next?

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Aug 23 13:46:33 EDT 2004

On 23 Aug 2004 at 14:32, bsupnik at comcast.net wrote:

> HP2100 - 7905/20/25 disk debug

Count me in for this.  ;-)

I'm also doing some preliminary research for an HP 12792 8-channel terminal
multiplexer implementation.  The problem is that I have found no
documentation on how the card was programmed by the CPU.  The reference
manual has schematics, but the card has an on-board Z-80 processor, and
there's no ROM or command set listing.  The diagnostic source doesn't help
either, as it simply downloads a binary program to the card for execution.
There's a little bit of information in the RTE driver source, in the form
of usage examples.  If anyone has any information on this card beyond what
is in the user manual set, please let me know.

(I have a ROM dump from a card in my possession, so reverse-assembling the
code would be possible, but a commented listing or a prose description of
the command set that the card implements would be a lot easier to work
from.)

> HP3000 - which version? software?

I'd be interested in helping with a simulation of the "classic" 3000 (the
stack architecture, e.g., a Series III), but I know nothing about the
internals of these machines, as I've never owned one.  I believe that Mike
Gemeny has some sysdumps of 3000 machines on tapes in his basement, but a
set of hardware diagnostics sources sure would help with the
implementation.

                                      -- Dave