[Simh] AOS for the Eclipse Simulator?

Bruce Ray bkr at WildHareComputers.com
Sat Aug 14 10:31:51 EDT 2004

G'day Steve -

The short version is..

<rant>

We have been working with DG (and now EMC) for about six years trying to
make arrangements for a "hobbyist" or educational, not-for-commercial-use
program for any and all of its old legacy software.  Their current official
position is that the software is still an active product and must be
licensed - and paid for - to be legally used.    This includes the software
for which official master copies do not exist any more.   (!)

I am not a lawyer, and do not play one on TV, and would never give advise
about such matters,  I am just relaying the official EMC/DG position using
its legacy software.

</rant>

We have not given up hope trying to preserve all of the master mag tapes of
DG software that are deteriorating in a storage area in Uxbridge, MA,  but
have been extremely frustrated over the years at this corporate position.

BTW, the special RDOS license that Bob has from Tom West sent the EMC/DG
lawyers into an almost-humorous tizzy, and I was interrogated at length
about it at several times.  Legal head implosions and the resulting seismic
activities were monitored at several earthquake monitoring centers.

The long version of this story is uglier, more frustrating, and more boring
but has the same outcome.

Bruce Ray

...preserving the Data General legacy:  www.NovasAreForever.com